Want to be a Backyard Lifeguard? Click HERE for application!
Accepting applications for Spring/Summer 2017 through March 1.
Backyard Lifeguards employs American Red Cross-certified adult lifeguards with proven records of providing attentive supervision, immediate action, competent and confident decision-making, and premier customer service. All positions independently contracted.
- Minimum age 18 years
- Demonstration of 500-meter open-water swim in 10 minutes or less
- Current certificates in American Red Cross Lifeguarding/First Aid and CPR/AED for Lifeguards
- Minimum three years’ lifeguarding experience, preferably year-round
- Proven work history in leadership role involving the care of children, such as a camp counselor, teacher, coach, etc.
- Team membership requires successful demonstration of prerequisite skills and completion of pre-season training/orientation.
- Work hours are flexible and based on stated lifeguard availability for posted work opportunities.
- Pay range is $20 to $30 per hour and based on years of experience, certificate status, leadership positions held, and 500M swim time.
Application deadline is March 1, 2017. All interviews must be completed by March 10, 2017.
Application, resume, certificates, and request for interview should be sent to smccormick@Backyard-
All applicants must demonstrate American Red Cross lifesaving skills and 10-minute continuous swim. Training on open-water rescue skills will be held immediately following successful skill demonstration. This session lasts approximately three hours. Location is Millstone Pool in the Washington University Athletic Complex. Dates and times are as follows. All candidates must choose ONE.
- Sun, Mar 26 – 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- Sat, Apr 01 – 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- Sat, Apr 15 – 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- One additional date in May to be announced.
New Team Member Orientation
An official offer of team membership will be made following successful completion of the skill evaluation. Each new team member must attend New Team Member Orientation prior to being eligible to select jobs. Topics will include performance expectations, administration, procedures for various job sites, and review/evaluation of First Aid and CPR skills. The BYLG Team Member Manual will be emailed in advance. Sessions are scheduled as follows. All candidates must choose ONE.
- Sat, May 06 – 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
- Thu, May 18 – 2:00 PM to 8:00 PM
Lifeguard Duties and Characteristics
Lifeguards responsible for customer relations; set-up and break-down of equipment at event site; site evaluation, swimmer orientation, and skill assessment; swim site supervision; coordination of water activities; and data recording and reporting. Ideal candidates show:
- Trustworthiness and dependability, as demonstrated by past job performance
- Professional conduct and demeanor, including neat appearance and obvious preparation
- Understanding of customer interests and satisfaction expectations, without compromise of safety
- Ability to take initiative and work effectively without direct supervision
- Confidence and assertiveness to make and carry out decisions independently
- Quick-thinking, creative, and cooperative problem-solving skills
- Engaging energy and enthusiasm
- Attention to detail and prompt follow-through
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills