Want to be a Backyard Lifeguard? Click HERE for application!
Now accepting applications for Spring/Summer 2019
DEADLINE: FRIDAY, MARCH 1, 2019
Backyard Lifeguards employs American Red Cross-certified adult lifeguards with strong swim skills and proven records of providing attentive supervision, immediate action, competent and confident decision-making, and premier customer service. All positions independently contracted.
- Minimum age 18 years
- Demonstration of continuous 500-meter swim in 10 minutes or less
- Current certificates in American Red Cross Lifeguarding, First Aid, and CPR/AED for Lifeguards
- Minimum two years’ lifeguarding or water rescue experience, preferably year-round
- Proven work history in leadership role involving the care of children, or the sick or injured
- Team membership requires successful demonstration of prerequisite skills and completion of pre-season training/orientation.
- Work hours are flexible and based on stated lifeguard availability for posted work opportunities.
- Pay range is $20 to $30 per hour and based on years of experience, certificate status, leadership positions held, and 500M swim time.
Application deadline is Friday, February 15, 2019. All interviews must be completed by Friday, March 1, 2019.
Application, resume, certificates, and request for interview should be sent to info@Backyard-
Skill Evaluation / Tryout
All applicants must demonstrate American Red Cross lifesaving skills and 10-minute continuous swim. Training on open-water rescue skills will be held immediately following successful skill demonstration. This session lasts approximately four hours. All candidates must choose ONE of the following:
Saturday, March 16 12:00 PM – 4:00 PM John Burroughs School Ladue, MO
Saturday, March 30 12:00 PM – 4:00 PM John Burroughs School Ladue, MO
Sunday, March 31 12:00 PM – 4:00 PM John Burroughs School Ladue, MO
Dates and times subject to change. Additional dates may be added pending availability.
New Team Member Orientation
An official offer of team membership will be made following successful completion of the water skills evaluation. Each new team member must attend New Team Member Orientation to be eligible to select jobs. Topics will include performance expectations, administration, procedures for various job sites, and evaluation of select First Aid and CPR skills. The BYLG Team Member Manual will be emailed in advance. ORIENTATION IS MANDATORY FOR ALL NEW TEAM MEMBERS.
Saturday, April 20 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM Backyard Lifeguards St. Louis, MO
THIS IS THE ONLY SESSION. There will not be a make-up for anyone unable to attend.
Lifeguard Duties and Characteristics
Lifeguards responsible for customer relations; set-up and break-down of equipment at event site; site evaluation, swimmer orientation, and skill assessment; swim site supervision; coordination of water activities; recognition, rescue, and treatment of persons in distress; and data recording and reporting. Ideal candidates show:
- Trustworthiness and dependability, as demonstrated by past job performance
- Professional conduct and demeanor, including neat appearance and obvious preparation
- Understanding of customer interests and satisfaction expectations, without compromise of safety
- Ability to take initiative and work effectively without direct supervision
- Confidence and assertiveness to make and carry out decisions independently
- High-caliber supervision, recognition, and rescue skills
- Quick-thinking, creative, and cooperative problem-solving skills
- Engaging energy and enthusiasm
- Attention to detail and prompt follow-through
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills