This summer, get ready. Be an L.I.T.!
This specialty camp trains ‘tweens and teens in water rescue and other life skills to prepare them for future employment as lifeguards. Adolescents ages 10 to 15 will learn about water safety, leadership, and personal responsibility. Each day includes a workout, skill practice, rescue-themed games, and discussion. Post-camp volunteer opportunities available.
Monday through Friday
10:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Kirkwood Aquatic Center
$180 per session
Registration opening soon! Call 314.822.5855 or visit www.kirkwoodmo.org
What to wear and bring:
- One-piece athletic swimsuit
- Shorts or swim trunks
- Sunscreen and sunglasses (hat/visor optional but recommended)
Each camper must demonstrate independent swimming and treading ability on first day of camp.
Each camper will receive their own whistle on first day of camp. Additional supplies may be assigned.
Topics and skills included with each session detailed below.
Session M1 – June 06 to June 17, 2016
Lifeguard Health & Accident Prevention
- Staying Healthy
- Preventing Common Aquatic Injuries
- Helping Others and Being Part of a Team
- Aquatic Special Events
Session M2 – June 20 to July 01, 2016
Lifeguard Fitness & Special Opportunities
- Staying Fit
- Protecting Yourself and Others From Harm
- Working Outside and the Natural Environment
- Rescues in Open Water
Session M3 – July 11 to July 22, 2016
Advanced Topics & Employment Expectations
- Staying Healthy 2: What Stays Out
- Staying Fit 2 : The Lifeguard Athlete
- Protecting Yourself from Liability
- Being a Leader and Educator
- Getting (and Keeping!) a Job